THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF MALNUTRITION
Malnutrition is something which had eaten deep into the society. It had spread out in the society. Thousands of people die annually as a result of malnutrition.First of all; let's know the concept of malnutrition.
WHAT IS MALNUTRITION?
Malnutrition according to Wikipedia is a condition that results from eating a diet in which nutrients are either not enough or are too much such that the diet causes health problem.The things that it involves include; calories, proteins, carbohydrate, vitamins or minerals.
Malnutrition is rampant in the society. People are dying as a result of it. People are ignorant of it. This is most common in children. Majority of children are not fed well which leads to malnutrition.
Causes Of Malnutrition
POOR DIET: This may lead to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Lack of regular intake of diet can lead to malnutrition.It can also come if someone is not eating the appropriate diet needed by the body for a healthy living.
MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM: This is another thing that causes malnutrition. Mentally unstable people hardly have access to food. They eat anything they see on the street which leads to malnutrition. They eat poor diet and less food which leads to malnutrition.
ALCOHOLISM: This is yet another cause of malnutrition. People who are into alcoholism may develop gastritis or pancreas damage and it may reduce the body's ability to digest food or absorb certain vitamin and produce hormones which regulates metabolism. Alcohol contains calories which may reduce the feeling of hunger and it lead to someone not eating proper food.
FOOD SHORTAGE: This is most common in war torn zones. Food shortage can lead to malnutrition. When you don't have access to good food, malnutrition sets in. Food shortage is one of the major tools that lead to malnutrition.
Other things include:
- Lack of breast feeding in children. It is one of the major keys that lead to malnutrition in children. Any child that does not have access to breastfeeding is prone to malnutrition and it can lead to death.
- Also, food price causes malnutrition. When the food price is costly in the market, people won't have access to good food which will lead to malnutrition.
- Poverty also causes malnutrition. It is only when you have money that you would buy food in the market. It is the essential tool that causes malnutrition in the society. Poor people are prone to malnutrition. They don't access to good food which makes it difficult for them to escape malnutrition.
Now who are the people that are at risk of malnutrition? They include:
- Individuals who are socially discriminated.
- Poor people.
- Elderly people (especially those suffering from one ailment or the other).
- Those with chronic eating disorder etc.
Malnutrition is something you would see in yourself when it sets in. Some of the signs and symptoms of malnutrition include:
* Loss of weight.
* Complications after surgery (i.e. the risk involved during surgery).
* Loss of fats.
* Respiratory failure (i.e. breath difficulties).
* Longer recovery from illness.
* Longer recovery time from infections.
Control Of Malnutrition
To control or prevent malnutrition, some things need to be done or put in place which includes:
HEALTH PROMOTION: Mothers should be taught the need for good nutrition and food hygiene. And supplements need to be distributed nationwide. The need for proper breast feeding should be promoted nationwide.
SPECIFIC PROTECTION: This may include:
- Regular immunization
- Fortification of food.
- Family planning and birth spacing.
Lastly, malnutrition is something that should be eradicated from the society. Government should encourage well-meaning individuals in the society to help eradicate this menace in the society. People should be enlightened on the hazards of poor nutrition. And government should initiate policies that will promote food availability in the society.
Some bacteria needed by the body for a healthy living(Views: 3,170)
Bacteria which is a prokaryotic microorganism, can be defined as a tiny single-cell microorganisms, that are of few micrometers in length that normally exist together in millions. ...
Health Benefits Of Lemon(Views: 5,284)
Lemons are citrus fruits that offer a lot of nutrients and vitamins that are essential to the body. Lemons offer a lot of health benefits courtesy of its rich source of nutrients s...
Health Benefits Of Zobo Drink and Weight Loss Possible(Views: 12,652)
Zobo (Zoborodo) is a drink originated from Nigeria. The Zobo drink is made from dried Roselle plant flowers or commonoly known as Hibiscus Sabdariffa leaves coming from a species o...